Sunday, May 6, 2012

Finding My Spark: A Veggie Run

There are many different phases in life. I like this because it keeps things interesting. However, as much as I really want to embrace uncertainty, I'm not very good at it. I wish I was and I hope that one day I will be best embracer of uncertainty ever.

I'm at a crossroads in my life and I feel a bit off/not me/stuck. While I am working on pursuing another path in life, I am also trying to flourish in my current state. This is not easy because I am having to be in the moment and envision the future at the same time. It is growing, accepting and living my current life while I balance the visions, hopes and dreams of my future life.

In order to really be in the here and now, I am focusing on three things: developing a healthy well-being, fostering my creativity and actively pursuing the next steps of my life (patiently). To kickoff this sort of personal challenge, my husband and I went on a veggie run yesterday.

There is a local farm called The County Line which is about 15-20 miles from where I live. Normally, we spend between $8 and $10 for a week's worth of veggies. Yesterday, we spent $23 on local-grown cabbage, beets, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, sweet potatoes, eggplant, various peppers, cantaloupe, grapefruit and a huge watermelon.

In order to find my spark, I have started with healthy eating. My husband has done a lot of research on pH balance in the body. We have started alkalizing* our bodies by changing the foods we eat. We've always ate pretty healthy but not consistently. These are the steps we're taking to alkalize:

  1. Drink 2-3 baking soda waters per day (1/2 to 1 tsp. per glass of water)
  2. Cut out alcohol (especially beer), sugar, dairy, eggs, bread, processed and fried foods
  3. Decrease the amount of meat in our diets 
  4. I am replacing the half & half in my coffee with almond milk (this will take a while to get used to)  
  5. Eat a lot more alkaline-forming fruits and veggies      
Basically, we are just trying to eat cleaner. I am working on becoming healthy in my eating, taking care of myself and becoming stronger so that I can do God's work, enjoy my life and find peace. I found this verse that spoke to me about the kind of woman I want to be:

She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.
- Proverbs 31:25

I know that we all go through phases like this - when we don't really feel like ourselves. I believe that there are reasons for times like these. I see them as catalysts for change, for true reflection and for getting motivated to do something completely new. If we are open-minded during times of uncertainty, we are presented with options never thought possible. Happy Sunday to all.

*There is a lot of information out there on acid and alkaline balance. Don't trust just one source and be vigilant in your research.

5 comments:

  1. I know those phases well...

    I need to start being more careful about the things I eat. I used to be much better about eating healthy foods, but since the kids were born, it's been easier just to grab whatever is easy and near--which is not always the healthiest thing. Keep us posted. I'm interested in reading more about how these changes go.

    Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great goals and great post. I'll be praying for you to reach them.

    Pretty soon, melons will be in diet heavily. :)

    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making the rounds after the A to Z Challenge to say hello!

    CONGRATS on making the healthier eating choices. I've recently made a lot of changes myself. I've committed to eating a 95% raw foods diet (no raw meats!).

    Susanne
    PUTTING WORDS DOWN ON PAPER

    ReplyDelete
  4. Healthy eating is good for you, but I believe eating what you like in moderation is also good for you.
    Good luck.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. baking soda water might be hard to get down. :-) I'm all for more fruits and veggies. I'm always trying to eat better too, and I like the idea of natural, clean food. It will be interesting to see how you do. :-) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete