Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sometimes, Life is Just Plain Crazy

This morning, when I was walking Floyd, I prayed that God help me find balance and I asked Him to help me create a healthy perspective about work.  I planned on being extra healthy this week - exercise every day, no alcohol or sugar, lots of writing, reading my Bible, practicing yoga twice per day - and then I got slammed at work today.  It completely changed my outlook on this evening (I'm hoping not the entire week).  I couldn't help having a beer while I cleaned out my car and I'll probably chill the rest of the night and have some wine.  I'm totally burnt and I loathe the feeling of not being able to keep up at work.  I only have so many hours in the week because I absolutely refuse to work over 45 hours.  Maybe if I made $80,000 per year I could justify working over 50 hours per week.  But I don't.  Not even close.  I keep moving time that I block to get things done on my calendar.  I don't know where to move everything.  I can't fit it all in. 

How do you give 200% of yourself at work and still have time to exercise, cook a healthy meal, do the dishes and laundry, exercise, practice yoga, write and connect with your family on the same day?  I don't even have kids.  When I think of all the moms out there - whether they are working at a job or at home - I am filled with such appreciation.  Being a woman is difficult, working is hard, finding balance is very challenging and sometimes, life is just plain crazy. 

I've learned a lot of things through my life and also during my graduate studies.  I haven't quite internalized the concept of balance, though.  I don't want to be one of those women who spend all of their energy at work.  I don't want to dream about work-related things or wake up with work on my mind.  I want to enjoy life.  Today, I did not do a good job.  I did clean out my car and I am writing this blog - I guess that is something.  Tomorrow is a new day and I will start over.

4 comments:

  1. You did accomplish today things YOU wanted done. Give yourself that. My daughter and I just talked about setting too many goals and having to adjust. And not feeling like a failure if we don't get it all done.

    My opinion on jobs is that our jobs should never become our life. Living our life should be our focus. Although it would be nice to enjoy our jobs, I think it's good to remember, it's just a job and not our life. I hope that makes sense.

    Tomorrow is the new day. Hang in there. It will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a retired educator and seems I have less time for me than I did when my kiddos were young. Life's demands are just so overwhelmin'.

    This Ozark Farm Chick often says, "I work best with all the ball up in the air," but it's not true. Ya can't give your best when your tryin' to do six things at once.

    Seems your on the right track sweetie. You've set yourself some priorities and are stickin' to 'em. It took me decades to say no.

    Sometimes our days are just baby steps...don't beat yourself up if ya don't conquer the world today.

    I just wanted to thank you for visitin' and hoppin' on my blog. I sure hope ya enjoy the ride.

    God bless and in the words of that wacky old Granny Clampett, "ya'll come back now, ya hear!!!:

    Have a great day Hon! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will become the woman you allow yourself to become. No need for self-punishment. Life requires flexibility, I have come to learn. If you don't have time for yoga, then you don't have time for yoga. You did what you could, and it was more than most do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments - it is nice to know that others can relate.

    Nellie, you are completely correct in that self-punishment sucks & there is no need for it.

    Nezzy, I'll have to remember "baby steps" - those words are helpful when trying to grasp something that is difficult.

    JW, you do make sense about the job thing. It is the exact reason I have no desire to be a CEO.

    ReplyDelete